India’s 67th Independence Day Celebration
Organized by the Council of Indian Organizations of Central Valley
Topic: India’s Freedom Struggle: What it means to me and my family
Open to Middle School and High School children of Parents of Indian Origin. At least one parent must be of Indian origin.
- Participants need to register by: July 6, 2013. Please e mail registration form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entries must be submitted with the official Essay Entry Form. The student must complete the entry form, which includes a stipulation that the essay is the student’s original work and has not been published elsewhere.
- Entry forms with the essay must be e-mailed on or before: August 4, 2013. Your essay must be submitted electronically to: email@example.com
- Contest judging is conducted anonymously by the Council of Indian Organizations of Central Valley. Personal information about the student and school must appear ONLY on the entry form and not in the essay.
- The essay may be written in English or any other Indian Language
- The essay must be 500 words in length for middle school and 750 words for high school, not including the words in the Works Cited page.
- The title of the essay should appear at the top of page one; further pages should be numbered on the top right; the student’s name must not appear on the essay.
- Essays in the first person narrative style are highly recommended
- The essay must be in MLA(Modern Language Association) format (double-spaced and in 12 point type throughout, with one-inch margins on all sides of each page).
- The essay must use MLA documentation, including a Works Cited page (list of sources). Note that source material which is directly quoted as well as that which is paraphrased or summarized must be cited.
First, Second and Third Award Winners in each category will be announced. Certificates and cash awards ($100, $75, $50 in each category) will be given on August 24, 2013 at Fresno State. Winners must be present at the event with parents.
For further information please contact: Bindia Patel @ 559-288-6205